Cost of Clearing Cars in Nigeria in 2020

While you are considering getting a new car to Nigeria, you should also consider the cost of clearing your new car as well.

The cost for clearing cars different cars varies from car to car, making it necessary to check the cost of clearing a specific car when you wish to purchase or you already purchased.

There are fees attached to clearing imported cars on the ports, airports, seaports, and borders. These fees are compulsory and they include.

  • The Nigerian Customs (NCS)
  • The carrier of your car to the port i.e the shipping company or the airline.
  • The terminal where it was offloaded.
  • Clearing Charges or Agent fee.

Aside from the above-listed fees, the Nigerian Customs also have a charge for your imported car, this duty depends on the kind of car, model, size, and some more factors.

Cost of Clearing cars in Nigeria

If the vehicle is used, you are to pay a 35% duty charge, while cars that are newer, like from 2016 will be charged a levy of 35%, duty charge of 35% which totals 70%.

You also have to settle the car carrier e.g shipping company that brought your car into the country. Their charge is dependent on the weight and size of your car. This is a summary of all that you will spend on clearing cars in Nigeria.

Nigeria Customs Import Duty On Imported Goods

No one can dodge paying import duty and taxes. It doesn’t matter if you are an individual or a commercial entity, shipping goods to Nigeria warrants import Duties.

CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight) is the major mode through with are valued. This signifies that both the import duty and taxes due are estimated on the entire shipping value.

You may find it interesting to know that the entire shipping value includes the charge of freight, the cost of the insurance, and the value of the imported goods.

Imported goods are also subject to sales tax, and any other fee for specific products in these categories rice levy, automotive levy, sugar levy, and cigarette levy. This being said, the total cost of clearing cars in Nigeria is dynamic.

See: Nigerian National Symbols and Their Meaning

Duty Rates

While searching for the total cost of clearing cars in Nigeria, you have to know that depending on the products, your duty rates in Nigeria vary from 0% to 35%, where the average duty rate at 16.96%. Irrespective of that, some products can be imported for free without having to pay duty (e.g. books). 

Sales Tax

5% of your imports is a standard fee levied for VAT on the sum of the CIF value, duty, and excise, and other taxes if applicable. Hence, we can’t say that there is a minimum threshold in Nigeria. Therefore, imports are subject to taxes and duty regardless of their value.

Visit to know the CET Tariff of other commodities.

Cost Of Clearing Cars in Nigeria

The reason the cost of clearing cars in Nigeria changes on a regular basis is because of the exchange rate of naira and dollar. The cost of clearing cars in Nigeria varies between 2016, 2017, and 2018.

Customs currently charge ₦326 to $1 at the time of this post, and this is subject to change depending on the strength of Naira.

To this effect, we will keep updating the current exchange rate, because this is a factor that affects the cost of clearing cars in Nigeria. We have noticed an increase in the total duty of all vehicles and imports due to this.

Fixed dollar value is placed on all cars and other imports topping into Nigeria, but the volatility of the exchange rate makes the value change from, time to time.

Estimated Cost of Clearing Cars in Nigeria

These prices might vary if you get a good agent. We have gotten this list from an agent.

Nissan Pathfinder 2001₦350,000
Nissan Primera 2003₦315,000
Toyota Rav4 2004₦335,000
Kia Sorento 2004₦360,000
Lexus RX 330 2004₦370,000
Nissan Pathfinder 2005₦400,000
Toyota Highlander 2005₦450,000
Toyota Corolla 2005₦300,000
Toyota Tundra 2005₦400,000
Toyota Corolla 2006₦300,000
Toyota 4Runner 2006₦450,000
Lexus RX 350 2007₦600,000
Lexus RX 350 2008₦700,000
Toyota Highlander 2008₦500,000
Lexus RX 350 2009800,000
Lexus RX 350 2010₦950,000
Toyota 4Runner 2011₦900,000
Mercedes-Benz ML350 2012₦1,515,000
Toyota Venza 2013₦1,400,000
Toyota Camry 2013₦1,350,000
Toyota Camry 2015₦1,500,000

Zonal Offices Where to Clear Your Cars

Tin Can port and Apapa port are the most popular ports in Nigeria through which cars are brought. If you are importing cars from Cotonou, you can then clear at Seme border. There are four zonal centers of the Nigerian Customs Service, and this is where you verify your car status. These zones include:

  • Zone A Headquarters, No. 1 Harvey Road, Yaba, Lagos;
  • Zone B Headquarters, Kabala Doki, Kaduna;
  • Zone C Headquarters, Nigeria Ports Authority, Port Harcourt and;
  • Zone D Headquarters, Yelwa Tudu Road, Bauchi State.

Do well to ask us a question in the comment section if you need to, and we will be glad to hear from you.

Leave a Comment